Summary of the "Night of the Nigori" Tasting at Zoya on April 26th.
We typically get 20-30 emails per Newsletter from those wanting a summary of past sake tasting events. As such I make it a regular practice to highlight what you fools have been missing! (I say that in the most loving of ways). Point being, many people cannot attend a tasting and they want to know what goes down at these fun and informative events. Bottom-line is that we bend over backwards to create events that feature superb sakes, great spaces, and fabulous foods. You should at some point attend one of our tastings, and here's another example of why:
The Night of The Nigori tasting held at Zoya Restaurant in Hayes Valley featured 6 really different unfiltered sakes and two "bonus" brews that play to our fascination of testing sakes durability. We poured a conditioned and a "damaged" bottle of Shirakawago Nigori for the participants to taste sake that had been left in the sun for a month. Oddly enough (which is not odd at all as we proved time and time again) most of the "True Tasters" enjoyed the damaged sake more than the perfectly conditioned bottle, as it had more deep flavors emerge. And this just proves the durability point about sake and highlights the fact that pasteurized products need not be tossed if mishandled!
Herewith was the line-up for the evening, which was paired with a walnut crusted goat cheese salad, Crab Poke, and seared Ahi Tuna:
- Yukiwatari "Snowy Steps" Iwate Prefecture. Junmai Nigori SMV: -10 Acidity: 1.4
- Hitorimusume "Only One Daughter" Ibaraki Prefecture. Junmai Nigori. SMV: +4 Acidity: 1.4
- Tsukinokatsura "Eternal Tree On The Moon" Kyoto. Junmai Nigori. SMV: +3 Acidity: 1.7
- Kikusakari Kurashizuku Ibaraki Prefecture. Junmai Ginjo Usu Nigori. SMV: +1 Acidity: 1.5
- Ama no To "Diamond Dust" Akita Prefecture. Junmai Ginjo Usu-Nigori. SMV: -3 Acidity: 1.3
- Momokawa "Nigori Genshu" Aomori Prefecture. Junmai Nigori Genshu. SMV: -18 Acidity: 1.4
- Shirakawago Sansanigori "Bamboo Leaf" Gifu Prefecture. Junmai Ginjo Nigori. SMV: +1 Acidity: 1.5