Ask Beau - "Why do you put some sakes on sale?"
This is a great question from Brian R from San Francisco.
I am always very wary of sakes that are on sale because it definitely means that they may be old! Period. It is a way for retailers to dump old brews! We have several reasons for sakes that are on sale at True Sake. If we notice a sake is getting a little long in the tooth as in getting a little old (We NEVER have sake that is beyond its perishable point!) we offer a “Drink Me Now” sake special. We also have a sake when we “Overstock” a sake. This means that we made a mistake in ordering and ordered too much.
So fear not if you see a “Sale” sign hanging on certain bottles at the store and by all means take us up on the value of a sale, you will be greatly rewarded!
Here are some current “Sale” items:
20% discounted items:
1) *Harushika "Spring Deer"* From Nara Prefecture Junmai Ginjo Genshu SMV: -5, Acidity: 2.0 Price: 720ml - $47 (regular) ---> $37.60 (now)
2) *Takanotsuyu Hakuro Suishu "Winter Water"* From Yamagata Prefecture Junmai Ginjo SMV: +1, Acidity: 1.1 Price: 720ml - $46 (regular) ---> $36.80 (now)
3) *Shutendouji Kyo-Onna "The Lady of Kyoto"* From Kyoto Prefecture Tokubetsu Junmai SMV: -7, Acidity: 1.6 Price: 720ml - $36 (regular) ---> $28.80 (now)
10% discounted items:
1) *Akitabare Suirakuten 'Heaven of Tipsy Delight"* From Akita Prefecture Diginjo SMV: +4, Acidity: 1.2 Price: 720ml - $78 (regular) ---> $70.20 (now)
Other discounted items:
1) Seko "Ninja" From Shiga Prefecture Tokubetsu Junmai SMV: +3, Acidity: 1.8 Price: 720ml - $30 (regular) ---> $24 (now $6 off), 1.8L - $63 (regular) ---> $50 (now $13 off)
2) Katafune "Lagoon Boat" From Niigata Prefecture Junmai Ginjo SMV: -4, Acidity: 1.7 Price: 720ml - $47 (regular) ---> $40 (now $7 off)
Please send your sake specific questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. (This address is not for general questions and I only review the questions once per month. All other correspondence should use email@example.com.)