Zankyo "Super 8" | True Sake
Product Image Product Image

Zankyo "Super 8"

This item is highly limited. Please call about availability. 415-355-9555

Super 8 is the quintessential “story” sake This brew will pop up now and again around the globe because it is insane! Yes I said it! This is pure insanity in a bottle. When you are removing on average 10 kilos of rice polishings for every kilo that remains you know the sake world is watching. Zankyo “Super 8” Junmai Daiginjo is a legend in the bottle and I encourage you to read the little packet within each box. I also encourage you to be very careful opening the box if you chilled the sake in the box as each bottle is autographed and the ink blotches when it’s cold! (Perhaps chill the bottle separately) – Ummmm Yes! I said autographed – so that should tell you something!  


 Basically it takes 250 hours of rice polishing to achieve a level of 8% remaining and 92% removal. Can you mill any brewing rice to this level? Absolutely not! And the most favorable and expensive specialty Daiginjo rice known as Yamadanishiki “turns to dust!” That’s an amazing fact for sake sleuths, and which rice can stand up to this heat and friction? Kura No Hana, which is very hard on the outside and absorbent on the inside. And milled to 8% the brewers had to create special equipment to keep the Kura No Hana from disappearing!


Actually this sake used to be called Super 9! This begs the question why? Why mill something to this extent? Why remove almost all of the grain to get to what? The soul? Are we tasting the soul of the rice? The brewers – like most sake brewers – believe in the removal of impurities. Period. Impurities can and will change a sake. Hakurakusei brewery believes that you can reach a level impurity removal, where impurities such as fats, minerals, amino acids and proteins do not exist and all that you are brewing with is pure “purity.” (This is one of the reasons why they recommend that you as consumers age this sake for 2-5 years!)


This sake is truly a work of art. It represents an amazing accomplishment in the sake making world and one could call it a pinnacle effort. The citrus nose and the young pear tones on a cutting fluid that drinks crisp and tight will make you wonder is this what the soul of Kura no Hana tastes like?


Sold Out

You Might Also Like...

Blog Search

Fresh Off The Press

The Archives

Fresh Off The Press

The Archives

Search True Blog

Sake Delivered
to Your Door!

Free delivery on any order over $100!

Now order online! Same and next-day delivery in SF and we ship to anywhere in California as well as DC, ID, MO, NM, NV, NY, OR, VA and WY!

SF Store Info


Phone No : (415) 355-9555

Monday - Thursday : 12pm - 7pm

Friday - Saturday : 11am - 7pm

Sunday : 11am - 6pm