“Ask Beau” – “Do you have any tips that we can use to promote sake?”
Ah! Ye’ol selling points! Yes, after almost two decades of peddling rice juice we have come up with a lot of little tips or tricks to get folks to think about sake in a better light. Ironically we just created a bunch of “Did you know?” facts for our brochure for SAKE DAY. So along with my catch phrase “Sake is built like beer, but drinks like wine” herewith are a lot of selling points for the best libation on the planet.
- Did you know that sake has 1/3 the acidity of wine?
- Did you know that the final product of sake is 80% water?
- Did you know that there are no sulfites in sake?
- Did you know that Junmai (rice and water only) sake is gluten free?
- Did you know that there are very low histamines in Sake?
- Did you know that sake has the widest temperature spectrum in the alcohol world?
- Did you know that the word “sake” actually means all alcohol in Japan?
- Did you know that Nigori sake is NOT “Unfiltered” sake?
- Did you know that sake is perishable and should be consumed within 18 months?
- Did you know that sake uses twist caps, which makes it easier to keep after opening?
- Did you know that sake only has 4 or 5 ingredients?
- Did you know that the first sake makers used to be rice farmers who had no work in winter?
- Did you know that “Umami” is far more prevalent in sake than wine?
- Did you know that the enzymes in sake make skin much softer?
- Did you know that the legal word for sake is “Seishu?”
- Did you know that a brewery in Yamagata once milled a sake to 99% removal?
- Did you know that since sake is a starch-based beverage that it pairs better with food than wine?
- Did you know that a sake sweetness is far less sweet than a wine grape sweetness?
- Did you know that hard water with lots of iron is terrible for making sake?
- Did you know that historically the best two water sources for sake were in Kyoto and Kobe?
- Did you know that sake is an aphrodisiac?
Ok, I am not too sure about that last one, but it sure sounds good so I am sticking with it until you prove me wrong!