Skip to content
We're open for online orders, store pick up, and same-day door service. (415) 355-9555.
We're open for online orders, store pick up, and same-day door service. (415) 355-9555.

“Ask Beau”– A Question From Ten Years Ago – “Why Doesn’t Sake Vary Year-In and Year-Out?”

So as many of you may know we are about to upgrade the website for True Sake. The focus will be a website that emphasizes selling sake, and steers clear of the history and education etc of sake. I say this because there are many education websites are out there and we should focus on what we do best! BUT, I have produced so much educational content in 13 plus years of writing this newsletter that it would be a shame to just ditch it. As you know KJ does a section that she calls Mining the Archives! It’s pretty cool. But I too have been looking back and I must say that there is a ton of very unique sake info that I have collected over the last decade. For example in the “Ask Beau” section we have unearthed a crap load of very cool takes such as the following dated September 2010:

Ask Beau January 2918 A

“Why Don’t Sakes Vary Year-In and Year-Out?”
Wow - there were 92 unique questions in the AskBeau box this month! (Remember please do not send personal emails or photos to this account) That's a lot of questions folks, and they were all pretty good - some far more simple and can usually be answered by reading the website a little. Others were quite strong, and a few were downright technical and you guys wouldn't want to know the "details" - does not make for light reading! One question from Indiana - yup I believe my first question from Indiana - asked about the consistency found in the sake making industry. David R asked, "Do sakes change each year? And if not why don't sakes vary year-in and year-out?"


I'll begin to answer this question with a story! I was once in Kobe speaking to an owner of a brewery and asked him if he remembered the good rice years - the special vintage rice years - the amazing rice years as they do in the grape/wine world. He paused. He looked down. He looked around. And then he said, "No." What? Are you serious? He laughed and said yes I am serious I do not really remember. Then I quickly composed myself and said, "Do you remember the bad rice years?" Without missing a beat he belted out, "Of course!"


You see in the wine world - one could argue that the final product of the wine is dictated by roughly 80% the quality of the grape and 20% how they produce the wine. Almost the inverse is true in the sake making world. The quality of the rice accounts for roughly 20% of the final product and the remaining 80% is how the make the sake. That is a ton of pressure on the actual brewing process, but it is also a blessing as there is such consistency year-in and year-out! If the rice is great they still have to work, but if the quality is poor then the brewers must really have to work their butts off. Therein rests why the owners remember the poor rice years on account of the fact that to maintain their consistency they must work twice as hard!


For me the consistency in the industry is awesome! I will read reviews of sakes from 8 years ago and then taste the current version and almost to a "T" the brews drinks the same. That is incredible and rarely will you find that in the wine world. Problems occur when breweries lose their tojis (head brewers) or they change equipment or facilities. Then and only then does consistency become a serious issue.


So David one of the great selling points about sake is that if you find a home in a certain sake or a certain brewery's efforts then you can have a life-long affair with that product!


Previous article Top TEN List – 10 Medal Winning Sakes From The IWC