Top Ten List – Top Ten Chanukah Sakes
For 8 nights starting on December 16th Jews celebrate and commemorate the miracle known as sake. No! Wrong! We celebrate and publicize other far more important miracles from generations ago. Sake isn’t the miracle. But it can be a part of the celebration. Sure give the kids some Chanukah Gelt, but instead of Kiddush wine why not give a wonderful bottle of sake to publicize the miracle?
Of course historically giving presents really isn’t part of the program but many feel that since Chanukah is so close to that other “gift giving” holiday that a present or two is okay in keeping with the season. If you feel so compelled to buck tradition then herewith is our Top Ten Chanukah Sake List:
1. Born “Wing of Japan” – Junmai Daiginjo
- This amazing sake is officially kosher and the bottle is officially awesome.
2. Kikusui “Chrysanthemum Water” – Junmai Ginjo
- Also officially kosher this pounded blue bottle is simply retro and fantastic
3. Dassai 23/39/50 – Junmai Daiginjo
- All three of these brews are blessed and officially kosher!
4. Bunraku “Forgotten Japanese Spirit” – Tokubetsu Junmai
- Super gentle sake in a splendid square bottle with a cork!
5. Kirinzan “Flying Horse” - Junmai
- A very clean and drinkable sake with nice rice tones and a round bottle!
6. Kaika “Shizuku” – Special Drip Press Daiginjo
- What an amazingly packaged sake. Go ahead and splurge
7. Kirin Hizoshu – Competition Daiginjo
- Purple Gift Box? Are you kidding me? This is an awesome sake that looks amazing!
8. Suehiro Ken “The Sword” – Daiginjo
- Cool blue box. Cool name. But what’s very cool is that this sake drinks great!
9. Fukuju “Happy Brewery” – Junmai Ginjo
- Difficult name to say, but an excellent sake to drink and look at that bottle
10. Meibo “Midnight Moon” – Junmai Ginjo
- What a wonderful, balanced, and delicious sake that is just simply cute!