Sake Explorer’s Episode 1
Are you ready to take a sake adventure? This episode of brews is a wonderful walk through the outskirts of sake land. Each brew is a different expression of sake that speaks volumes to technique and ingredients. If you know sake then it’s time to learn sake. This Episode is an amazing reflection of sake passion by each of the brewing teams involved. Get your notebook ready and get adventurous.
- This cedar sake “Taru” is made by a brewery that specializes in this style of sake making. They are the cedar champs and dedicate their focus on brewing sake like they used to. Cedar sake is not only a tasty version of sake, but it’s quite historical. Serve chilled, room temp, and gently warm, if you have a wood masu (sake box) this makes the cedar experience all the more woody.
- This is a New World Sake, which is another word for saying it is a new style of sake making to attract a new slice of customers in the very large booze market. Light and fruity this Junmai sake is made to be flavorful and fun, and it’s also much lower in alcohol at 8% to keep drinkers fresh and bright. This style of light and fruity sake with nice acidity play is a new expression of sake being refreshing.
- Just like Umeshu, which is made with plums, there is another expression of sake called Yuzushu that is made with a Japanese citrus called Yuzu. Not exactly lemon, not exactly orange. It's a citrus that is sweet and tart and is totally delicious as an after dinner drink or a refreshing starter. Made with Junmai sake, they add Yuzu extracts to beautifully blend in this bright and super drinkable sake. If you are a pool-side cocktail lover this brew is for you.
- If you like to drink history then this brew is for you! Master sake brewer Philip Harper in Kyoto is enjoying playing with many expressions of sake, and this Time Machine is no exception. He found a “recipe” for how to make sake in 1712 and replicated that effort. “Delightfully sweet and bursting with umami goodness,” this is a sake that goes great with food pairings.
- This expression of sake is an internationally acclaimed superstar amongst all of the major sake competitions. Made using more sake rather just water to ferment it basically becomes a “dessert” sake for the style and final sweetness of the product. But unlike other freshly released “Kijoshu” sake this brew has been aged for 8 years which gives it a dark amber color and lovely lushness. A sake that is perfect to pair with chocolate.
- This aged sake (Koshu) is a very different bird in the aged sake world. Called “Ancient Treasure” it is made using the Yamahai brewing technique and is a Genshu (undiluted) with an alcohol content of 17.2%. Aged for over ten years all sorts of awesomeness happens with this brew and it is a serious adventure in your glass.
Original price $19.00 - Original price $19.00Original price$19.00$19.00 - $19.00Current price $19.00| /Low stock
Some breweries throw chunks of cedar into their tanks for the flavor. But this brewery makes specific cedar barrels to age their Taru sake in for f...View full detailsOriginal price $19.00 - Original price $19.00Original price$19.00$19.00 - $19.00Current price $19.00| /
Original price $30.00 - Original price $30.00Original price$30.00$30.00 - $30.00Current price $30.00| /In stock
The nose on this "new-style" sake is deep and complex with a mixture of citrus elements and hint of umami. "Princess Food" is a wonder to behold as...View full detailsOriginal price $30.00 - Original price $30.00Original price$30.00$30.00 - $30.00Current price $30.00| /
Original price $0.00 - Original price $0.00Original price $0.00$30.00$30.00 - $30.00Current price $30.00| /In stock
The nose on this gentle Yuzushu is a splendid collection of lemon peel, honey, fresh lemonade, elderflower, and sugar aromas. Talk about a gentle a...View full detailsOriginal price $0.00 - Original price $0.00Original price $0.00$30.00$30.00 - $30.00Current price $30.00| /
Original price $26.00 - Original price $26.00Original price$26.00$26.00 - $26.00Current price $26.00| /In stock
The nose on this recently reformulated historical sake is an enticing collection of mushroom, mochi, dried grass, cooked oranges, maple syrup, lemo...View full detailsOriginal price $26.00 - Original price $26.00Original price$26.00$26.00 - $26.00Current price $26.00| /
Original price $53.00 - Original price $53.00Original price$53.00$53.00 - $53.00Current price $53.00| /In stock
This Kijoshu has been aged for eight years and has a similar nose to a Sherry or Port with an aroma of honey and nuts. This very rich Kijoshu is a ...View full detailsOriginal price $53.00 - Original price $53.00Original price$53.00$53.00 - $53.00Current price $53.00| /
Original price $96.00 - Original price $96.00Original price$96.00$96.00 - $96.00Current price $96.00| /Low stock
The nose on this very important Yamahai Koshu is an amazing collection of toffee, candied nuts, honey, lemon, and Heath Bar aromas. This is a sake ...View full detailsOriginal price $96.00 - Original price $96.00Original price$96.00$96.00 - $96.00Current price $96.00| /