Skip to content

Junmai & Honjozo

These dependable categories of sake are the workhorses of the sake world. 

The Junmai category is historically the “way sake was.” These brews can have their rice milled to many different levels from 80% with 20% removal to 65% with 35% removal as long as the milling percentages are on the label. The old norm was Junmai sake had to be milled to at least 70% remaining and 30% removed, but this is no longer the case.  The result is that some Junmai can drink very rich and full-bodied, and some drink lighter and more elegant. Just remember that Junmai also means “rice and water only,” and it’s a great center of the plate food pairing sake that is perfect for most cuisines from salty and savory to rich and robust, fried and grilled to baked and steamed, and from spicy to complex. Good for chilled, room temperature, warming and heating. 

Honjozo sake has the same rice milling standard that Junmai sake used to have 70% remaining and 30% removal.  The difference with Honjozo is that the makers add a little “brewer’s alcohol” to lighten the sake and clean things up. Honjozo sake is not fortified sake – it is not made stronger by the added alcohol – in fact it makes a sake lighter and more refreshing. This category of sake is perfect for easy drinking and easy food pairings.  Good for chilled, room temperature, warming and heating.

  • Suigei Tokubetsu Junmai "Drunken Whale"

    Suigei Tokubetsu Junmai "Drunken Whale"

    best selling dry sake.
    from $14.00

    This Tokubetsu Junmai is said to be brewed for whales that reside off of the Pacific coast of Kochi. The nose is a collection of rose, wood, and gr...

    View full details
  • Kenbishi Kuromatsu Honjozo "Black Pine"

    Kenbishi Kuromatsu Honjozo "Black Pine"

    oldest brand since 1505.
    from $12.00

    The nose on this extremely famous Honjozo from the brewery that calls itself “The Oldest Brand Since 1505” is a dynamic collection of steamed rice,...

    View full details
  • Akishika Junmai "Bambi Cup"

    Akishika Junmai "Bambi Cup"

    cute and collectible.

    Come on, is there a cooler one cup of sake that is dry and compact and extremely easy to empty? Talk about drinkable without thinkable! Light, clea...

    View full details
  • Otokoyama Tokubetsu Junmai "Man's Mountain"

    Otokoyama Tokubetsu Junmai "Man's Mountain"

    the ultimate classic junmai.
    from $16.00

    This Tokubetsu Junmai has an earthy yet sweet aromatic nose that borders on ripe fruit. The strength in this Junmai rests in it unmistakable drynes...

    View full details
  • Kaika Tokubetsu Junmai "Sanomaru Cup"

    Kaika Tokubetsu Junmai "Sanomaru Cup"

    pairs well with ramen!

    Have you ever tasted dry water? This unique sake in a cup is clean and dry with gentle flavors of rice and wheat toast. It is very even and balance...

    View full details
  • Yuki Otoko Junmai Cup "Abominable Snowman"

    Yuki Otoko Junmai Cup "Abominable Snowman"

    dry, dry, dry.

    The nose on this abominable snowman cup sake is a mild collection of cantaloupe, steamed rice, pear, and snow melt aromas. This is one of the most ...

    View full details
  • Nishinoseki Tokubetsu Junmai "Daruma Cup"

    Nishinoseki Tokubetsu Junmai "Daruma Cup"

    a chewy cup sake.

    A thick and chewy sake at its best! Fat and rich this brew is so fun and so smooth. There is a gentle rice sweetness that flows across the palate i...

    View full details
  • Otokoyama Tokubetsu Junmai "Kimoto Cup"

    Otokoyama Tokubetsu Junmai "Kimoto Cup"

    great food-pairing cup.

  • Otokoyama Tokubetsu Junmai Namachozo Can

    Otokoyama Tokubetsu Junmai Namachozo Can

    pocket-sized dry nama.

    The nose on this very cool looking can is filled with ricy, woody, and nutty aromas. This is an extremely user friendly can of sake. It is super cl...

    View full details
  • Tengumai Yamahai Junmai "Dance of the Demon"

    Tengumai Yamahai Junmai "Dance of the Demon"

    great with a margherita pizza.

    Tengumai is another of the "to do" sakes on your list, as it is ultra-popular in Japan for good reason. This Junmai is constructed the traditional ...

    View full details
  • Tedorigawa Yamahai Junmai "Silver Mountain"

    Tedorigawa Yamahai Junmai "Silver Mountain"

    a food pairing masterpiece.

    This brewery has become famous for appearing in the movie called “The Birth of Sake,” but it was already famous for making some of the best sake in...

    View full details
  • Masumi Okuden Kantsukuri Junmai "Mirror of Truth"

    Masumi Okuden Kantsukuri Junmai "Mirror of Truth"

    classic 3-temp brew.
    from $15.00

    “Okuden” has a soft nose of mixed berries, melon, and earth-tones. A semi-floral front is met by a middle-mouth filled with dried fruit flavors tha...

    View full details
  • Yukikage Tokubetsu Junmai "Snow Shadow"

    Yukikage Tokubetsu Junmai "Snow Shadow"

    solid, easy, clean.

    This "solid as your father" sake has a mild nose filled with green apple, bamboo, steamed rice, apricot and pudding elements. Talk about a "feeling...

    View full details
  • Wakatake Onikoroshi Tokubetsu Junmai Genshu "Demon Slayer"

    Wakatake Onikoroshi Tokubetsu Junmai Genshu "Demon Slayer"

    food-friendly, round, strong.
    from $14.00

    The gentle nose on this undiluted Junmai (18%) is a mix of berries and green plums with cinnamon and steamed rice elements. Think fat, rich and cre...

    View full details
  • Ura Gasanryu Honjozo "Koka"

    Ura Gasanryu Honjozo "Koka"

    best value, refreshing.

    This IWC Honjozo Trophy winner has a grassy and herbal nose with hints of white grapes, blueberry and mint. How can a round, lush, gentle, juicy, a...

    View full details
  • Joppari Honjozo "Stubborn Daruma"

    Joppari Honjozo "Stubborn Daruma"

    bone dry.

    The nose on this can is a mild collection of hay, wheat, dried leaves, and steamed rice aromas. Dry, tight, and very clean, this sake drinks crisp...

    View full details
  • Bunraku Yamahai Junmai "Forgotten Japanese Spirit"

    Bunraku Yamahai Junmai "Forgotten Japanese Spirit"

    a silky, smooth yamahai.

    This traditionally made sake has a very unique nose filled with chocolate, cream, and wool elements. Talk about a smooth and soft sake! This brew h...

    View full details
  • Kibo Junmai "Hope"

    Kibo Junmai "Hope"

    dry and very easy.

    The nose on this sake with an incredible story is a gentle collection of steamed rice, forest floor, woody, and marshmallow elements. This sake is ...

    View full details
  • Shirataki Jozen Junmai "Aqua"

    Shirataki Jozen Junmai "Aqua"

    named by true sake!
    from $8.00

    A very welcoming Junmai from a brewery known for their Ginjo sakes with a nose filled with grain, cocoa, rice, blueberry jam, and crème brulee elem...

    View full details
  • Nanbu Bijin Tokubetsu Junmai "Southern Beauty"

    Nanbu Bijin Tokubetsu Junmai "Southern Beauty"

    iwate flagship sake.
    from $9.00

    The nose on this IWC Champion sake is a wonderful collection of pecan, almond, peach cobbler, apple pie, wheat toast, and creamy aromas. What can...

    View full details
  • Huchuhomare Taiheikai Tokubetsu Junmai “Pacific Ocean”

    Huchuhomare Taiheikai Tokubetsu Junmai “Pacific Ocean”

    easy-drinking, tropical, fun!

    The front label on this sake is a traditional back of the bottle label with all of the pertinent info you’ll ever need. The nose on this brew is a ...

    View full details
  • Joto "Graffiti Cup"

    Joto "Graffiti Cup"

    yamadanishiki, super smooth.

    The nose on this special cup sake is a great collection of pear, peach, melon, and sugar aromas. This cup is amazing! The owner of the brewery grow...

    View full details
  • Genbei Onikoroshi Honjozo "4 Eyed Devil"
    Sold out

    Genbei Onikoroshi Honjozo "4 Eyed Devil"

    classic kyoto sake.

    This ultra-popular restaurant Honjozo has a nose filled with steamed rice, grains, dried leaves and onigiri. Kyoto is known for their soft water an...

    View full details
  • Urakasumi Junmai "Misty Bay"

    Urakasumi Junmai "Misty Bay"

    perfectly balanced.
    from $15.00

    This Junmai fits perfectly into the category of medium-dry. It has soft nose of rice and dried leaves, and has a pale yellow sheen. Different tempe...

    View full details